Job Title: Infection Control Officer (1)
Location: Likoni sub county of Mombasa
Length of contract: 3 months probationary contract with possibility of extension
MSF Switzerland (MSFCH) is a humanitarian medical organization providing emergency medical aid to populations in need.
In partnership & collaboration with the Mombasa County Government / Department of Health, MSFCH implements ‘Sexual and Reproductive Healthcare’ services at the Mrima health facility in Likoni, sub-county of Mombasa.
The objective of the activities is to increase access to quality maternal & neonatal health care services to contribute in improving maternal and newborn outcomes.
Main purpose: To support the development, implementation, supervision & maintenance of an infection control program to contribute to the quality of care and safety of patients, caretakers and staff.
To work in close collaboration with the Water, Hygiene and Sanitation (WHS) Supervisor and the Midwife Activity Manager and the Midwife Supervisor.
Main Tasks include, but not limited to:
1. Maintain and support the implementation of the standard precautions in health structures in all departments (sterilization, laundry and kitchen are included), in collaboration with each service activity manager or supervisor.
The standard precautions include:
- Use of personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Hand Hygiene
- Prevention of accidental exposure to body fluids
- Safe and appropriate treatment of re-usable medical devices (including ensuring the correct procedures/protocols for sterilization and laundry are followed)
- Waste management (waste segregation inside the structure)
- Cleaning and disinfection of surfaces and environment
- Respiratory hygiene
- Individual hygiene for staff, caretakers and patients
- Implement and monitor adherence to additional precautions for air, droplet and contact transmissible diseases when indicated, and in close collaboration with logistic team
- Based on a given patient-diagnosis: evaluate the need for additional precautions in collaboration with the medical team and act accordingly
- Support the implementation of isolation measures promptly when necessary
- Implement correct ‘clean and dirty flows’ inside the health facility as planned. It includes the flow of staff, visitors, patients, caretakers; equipment and materials; linen; and food. Ensure that environmental standards in the facility are respected (for example bed spacing, number of hand washing stations etc.) in close collaboration with logistic team4. Ensure adherence to aseptic care techniques
5. Ensure adherence to the correct use of antiseptics, disinfectants and detergents
6. Performs technical supervision and gives support to the staff (sterilization, laundry, HP and kitchen are included) for IPC related issues
- Organise training and coaching for all staff
- Perform audits on regular basis
- Check the consumption and the quality of IPC material and equipment, including cleaning materiel and equipment, PPE, etc.8. Participate in the Infection Control Committee (Hygiene committee) and follow up the Infection Control Action Plan:
- Participate and support development of an infection control plan in collaboration with the Infection Control Committee
- Monitor the implementation of the infection control action plan
- Ensure with the hospital Logistics, and WHS Supervisor that the following essential requirements are available in the health structure:
- Water supply, quality and quantity
- Solid waste and waste water treatment/disposal
- Latrines and shower facilities
- Dead bodies management – Vector control
- Medical waste management
- Kitchen and laundry
- Meeting and reporting:
- Report any irregularities to MAM or IPC managers or PMR
- Participate in project meetings as necessary
- Produce report with information & recommendations for the monthly medical reporting
- Performs monitoring of IPC activities using existing tools such as audits, checklist, surveillance etc.
Specificities of the position:
Supervision: 1 (and more as context evolves) Sterilization Technician(s)
Specific objectives and activities linked to the context:
- Responsible for packing and autoclaving of autoclavable instruments and other materials according to MSF protocols and autoclave manufacturers’ instructions, as well as in coordination with the Biomed responsible, the upkeep and maintenance of the sterilization room, autoclave, related materials and supplies.
- In collaboration with the MWAM and Admin, participate in the testing, interviewing and hiring of the Sterilization Technician(s).Directly responsible for the training, supervision and evaluation of the Sterilization Technician(s).
- Oversee the timely rotation of sterilized packs (oldest date used first; expired dates removed from usable supply) and materials.
- Nurse or midwife (or equivalent) diploma
- Preferable: Previous experience working with MSF or other NGOs
- Experience in OT or Intensive Care Unit is an asset
- Mission language essential, local language desirable
How to Apply
If you meet the above requirements, please send your CV, motivation letter, copies of certificates/diplomas and current registration documents before 6th January 2017, to http://uhired.me/e/job-preview/71
Get a Free CV Review
Click here to get more info